The holidays can be a busy time for families, especially if you have children and pets. However, it can be vital to be aware of holiday safety for your pets to prevent issues like toxicity, injuries, and more. At Animal Hospital Of Union Grove, we're here to help pet owners in Union Grove, WI, and the surrounding areas keep their pets safe year-round. Below are somethings to know about pet safety during the holidays so you can keep your pets from harm. Our veterinarian at our animal hospital is here to help.
Common Holiday Pet Safety Issues
It can be important to be aware of the most common safety issues that may arise around this time of year. With decorations, food, and visitors, there are more than a few hazards that could put your pet in harm's way. The holidays can be especially difficult for pets with anxiety or sensory sensitivities. Here are some tips for keeping your pet safe:
- Decorations: Try to hang items like garland and tinsel out of reach from pets to prevent them from chewing or ingesting them.
- Gifts: Be cautious when giving gifts like toys or treats with small parts that could be swallowed or choked on by pets.
- Visitors: It's wise to keep an eye on your pet when guests arrive, as some animals may become overwhelmed.
- Food: Keep any food items with chocolate or other harmful ingredients like raisins or macadamia nuts away from pets, as these can cause serious health issues.
Holiday Pet Safety Tips
These tips can help you keep your pet safe year-round, but are especially important during the holidays:
- Get your pet up to date on vaccinations and check-ups.
- Keep all toxic substances, plants, and decorations away from them.
- Use a collar with an identification tag in case they get lost or run away.
- Ensure your pet has access to plenty of fresh water and a quiet place to rest when needed.
- Make sure you're aware of any potential triggers for anxiety and take steps to mitigate them.
- Be sure your pet is getting plenty of exercise. An active pet is a happy and healthy one.
Schedule Your Pet Care in Union Grove, WI, Today
We hope this guide has given you insight into the importance of pet safety during the holidays. If you have any other questions or concerns about keeping your pet safe, don't hesitate to reach out to us at Animal Hospital Of Union Grove. We wish you and your pets a safe and happy holiday season. Call us at (262) 878-3333 for pet care from our veterinarian at our animal hospital.